The word “sesame” is from Latin sesamum which means “oil, liquid fat”. Don’t underestimate their size because these tiny seeds have huge health benefits. Sesame also known as Sesamum indicum is one of the oldest oil seed crops known, domesticated well over 3000 years ago. With a rich, nutty flavor, it is a common ingredient in cuisines across the world.
Sesame seeds contain significant amount of fiber. Fiber is very essential in healthy digestion as it stimulates peristaltic movements thereby facilitating digestion.
Sesame seed oil contains antioxidants that help in detoxifying your skin. The oil contained in sesame seeds attracts oil soluble toxins when applied to the skin.
Quick Tip: Mix one tablespoon olive oil and two tablespoons of powdered sesame seeds. Apply this mixture on your face after dampening it. Follow the same exercise once or twice a week.
Sesame seed are rich in amino acid, tryptophan. Tryptophan is efficient is reducing anxiety so grab a bowl of fruits with sesame seeds for a healthy start!
4.Good Source of Iron
Iron is an essential mineral used to transport oxygen to all parts of the body. A slight deficiency in iron causes anemia that is fatigue and weakness. These tiny seeds contain substantial amount of iron that help prevent anemia.
- 4 cups of sesame seeds
- 1/4-1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the sesame seeds on a shallow baking tray and bake, shaking frequently, until fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Do not brown.
- Put the sesame seeds in a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade.
- Add the vegetable oil.
- Process to a smooth paste, about 5 minutes.
- Add more oil if necessary, to bring the paste to a thick pouring consistency.
- Tahini will keep stored in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator for several months.
- 1 cup of sesame seeds
- 2 cups of water
- Soak 1 cup of sesame seeds in 2 cups of water overnight
- In the morning, blend the water and seeds until smooth
- Chill and drink (to retain the fiber) or
- Strain the mixture using a cheesecloth then serve
Oil, Vinegars & Pickles
Sauces, Condiments & Dips