For the Pongal
- 1 cup Pongal Rice (soaked for 10 minutes)
- 1/2 cup Moong Dal (soaked for 5 minutes)
- 2 cups Water
Making the Pongal
- In a pot or pressure cooker add some oil and add the soaked moong dal to it.
- Over a medium heat, toast the moong dal in the oil for about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and toast again for a minute.
- Add the rice and bring to a boil.
- Season the water with salt and keep stirring at regular intervals.
- As the rice and dal start cooking, you will need to stir more frequently to make a sticky rice mixture, like khichdi.
- Once the rice is completely cooked and you're happy with the consistency, turn the heat off and cover the pot to let steam for about 10 minutes.
Making the Tempering
- In a pan, add the ghee and heat over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and cook until they are sizzling and crackling.
- Add the turmeric and cook for about 30 seconds over medium heat.
- Add the black peppercorns and cook further for about 30 seconds.
- Add the curry leaves and move them around in the hot ghee vigorously.
- Add the green chillies and cashews and cook until they are evenly fried.
- Transfer the pongal rice to you desired bowl and pour this temper over it.
Food Grains & Lentils