Sticky Miso Eggplants
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the eggplants in half and score the insides in a cross-hatch pattern. Reserve the baby eggplants in cold water to prevent them from turning brown.
- In a bowl, add the miso paste, rice wine vinegar, dark brown sugar, and soy sauce. Whisk all of the ingredients together until the miso and sugar are completely dissolved and you have a smooth glaze.
- Place the eggplants on a baking tray and brush them generously with the glaze.
- Bake the eggplants in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and glaze them again. Repeat this process until the eggplants are completely cooked and the glaze has turned a dark brown color.
- Change your oven setting to “broiler” and glaze the eggplants once more.
- Place the baking tray on the top most rack and broil the eggplants with the glaze side facing the heat source.
- We are simply looking for the glaze to caramelize as the eggplants are already cooked.
- Once you see a good amount of caramelization of the glaze, remove the eggplants from the oven.
- Garnish the Miso glazed eggplants with chopped peanuts and scallions.
- These sticky miso eggplants are the perfect accompaniment for plain rice, fried rice or any other starch in general! The umami factor of miso will completely elevate your plate of food to the next level.
Oil & Vinegars