Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Mushroom Birria Tacos
Birria Tacos are a traditional Mexican delicacy that is served on food carts all over the country! This recipe is fully representative of this tradition that has served Mexicans for century, but perfectly plant-based.
Servings: 4 tacos
- 10-12 Dried Shitake Mushrooms (soaked in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes)
- 6-7 Dried Red Chilies (soaked in hot water for 5 to 6 minutes)
- 2 Onions (cut in half and grilled)
- 6 cloves Garlic (grilled)
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3-4 Black Peppercorns
- 3 cups Water
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Bouillon Broth Powder
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 4 Corn tortillas
- Chopped Onion & Coriander (for garnish)
- In a food processor, add the soaked red chillies, grilled onion and garlic, cinnamon, black pepper, and sesame seeds sesame seeds.
- Blend tis mixture into a fine paste.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the oil and the chilli paste.
- Cook the chilli paste in the hot oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the water and the bouillon powder to the cooked chilli paste and boil the mixture for 3 to 4 minutes, until slightly thick.
- Add the softened mushrooms and cook the sauce for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
- Strain the mushrooms from this sauce and set aside.
- Remove this sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Dip the corn tortillas into this flavourful sauce and place on the hot pan.
- Fill the taco with the mushrooms, onions, coriander and your favourite vegan cheese if you like!
- Close the taco and cook on both sides until toasty and crispy!
- Enjoy the delicious and traditional Birria tacos by dipping in the reserved birria sauce and enjoy!
Serving: 100g | Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 25mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 23IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 1mg