Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Moroccan Eggplant and Chickpea Stew
From the traditional and homely Souks of Morocco comes this robust and delicious stew made using chickpeas, Marinara, and absolutely delicious Moroccan Harissa!
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 4 to 5 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 large Eggplant (cubed)
- 3 tbsp Moroccan Harissa Sauce
- 1 can Chickpeas (drained and dried)
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup Water
- Few sprigs Fresh Coriander (finely chopped for garnish)
- Sourdough Bread Slices (toasted)
- Place a colander over a bowl.
- Add the cubed eggplant in the colander and coat generously with salt.
- Let the eggplant sit with the salt for about and hour. Discard all of the water that is accumulated in the bottom.
- Dry the eggplant with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a wide pot, add the olive oil. Add the eggplant into the hot oil to sear it. We are looking for an even brown colour.
- Once the eggplant is well browned, remove from the pot and transfer to a plate.
- In the same pot and oil, add the onions and garlic and cook until slightly caramelised.
- Add the Moroccan Harissa and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the Chickpeas and the Marinara Sauce.
- Add the water and cook the stew covered for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring in intervals to ensure that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the stew has thickened nicely, transfer to your favourite bowl and garish with some chopped coriander.
- Enjoy with some toasted sourdough!
Serving: 100g | Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 21g | Sodium: 1305mg | Potassium: 1021mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1064IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 3mg