Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Bibimbap is gaining immense popularity all over the world for it's diverse and customisable toppings of delicious pickles, and vegetables! In Korean "Bibim" means "to mix" and "Bap" means "Rice"! So, are you ready to chow down on some delicious and traditional Mixed Rice?
Servings: 2 people
For the Pickled Vegetables:
- 2 Carrots (julienned)
- 2 Cucumbers (sliced)
For the Shiitake Mushrooms
- 10 to 12 Shiitake Mushrooms
- 500 ml Water
Urban Platter Kimchi
For the Rice
- 2 cups rice
- 5 cups Water
- Salt (to taste)
For the Bibimbap Sauce
Making the Pickled Vegetables
- Add the vinegar, water and sugar to the pot and turn the heat on.
- Stir the pot continuously to ensure that the sugar doesn’t begin caramelising at the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly bring the pickling liquid to a boil. Let the liquid boil for 2 to 3 minutes and then turn the heat off.
- Transfer the hot pickling liquid to a container and cool it down slightly, until warm to touch.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl and pour the warm pickling liquid over the vegetables.
- Cover with a lid and let the vegetables pickle in the liquid for an hour or so.
- Once they are ready to use, remove the vegetables from the pickling liquid.
Making the Shiitake Mushrooms
- Bring the water to a boil and add the dried shiitake mushrooms to it.
- Turn the heat off and let the hot water hydrate the mushrooms for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are fully rehydrated, strain them out of the water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Once fully dried, slice them with a knife set aside.
Marinating the Tofu
- In a bowl, whisk together the Tamari and Ssamjang until combined and there are no lumps.
- Place the delicate Silken tofu on a plate and pour the marinade all over it.
- Once the tofu is marinated, set it aside.
Cooking the Rice
- First, we will begin by washing the rice. Place the rice in a bowl and fill it up with water.
- Using your hands, wash the rice vigorously. Drain the rice of the starchy water and begin again.
- Repeat this process 4 to 5 times, until the water from the rice begins to run clear.
- Place the washed rice in a wide pot and cover with the water.
- Slowly bring the pot of water to a simmer, stirring occasionally to ensure that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the water is simmering, cover the pot with a lid and cook the rice for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Once all of the water has been absorbed by the rice and the grains are fully cooked, turn the heat off and let the pot stand covered for 15 to 2o minutes.
- This step will ensure that all of the excess moisture is soaked into the rice and it will be less sticky.
Making the Bibimbap Sauce
- In a pan over medium heat, add some oil. Add the minced garlic to the hot oil and stir continuously.
- We’re looking for a nice golden brown colour for the garlic.
- Once the raw aroma of the garlic has disappeared and you have the right colour, add the apples to the pan.
- Stir the apples in the pan and add the Gochujang and Doenjang.
- Stir the two pastes around very well to cook them and then add the water.
- After the water has been added, let the sauce simmer for 2 minutes.
- Finish the sauce with toasted Sesame seeds and set aside.
Assembling the Bibimbap
- Scoop some rice into a bowl and press it into the bowl slightly.
- Place this molded rice in the center of a large bowl and now it's time to add the toppings!
- At the 12 o'clock position, we will place the kimchi, followed by the marinated tofu at 2 o'clock.
- Place the pickled carrots at 3 o'clock, followed by pickled cucumbers at 6 o'clock!
- Fill up the rest of the space with the sliced shiitake mushrooms.
- Pour generous amounts of the Bibimbap sauce all over the sauce.
- Garnish with the thinly sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
- To eat the Bibimbap, take a spoon and mix everything together and enjoy!
Serving: 250g | Calories: 915kcal | Carbohydrates: 191g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1509mg | Potassium: 1171mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 10424IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 246mg | Iron: 5mg