Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Keto-Friendly Mexican Tacos
Welcome to the bustling streets of Mexico! Here is a delicious and easy recipe to satisfy your taco cravings but keeping you within your Keto range! Now that's interesting isn't it?
Servings: 8 tacos
For the Keto Tortillas
For the Mexican Tofu Filling
For the Avocado Salsa Verde
- 1 Onion (peeled and cut in half)
- 10 cloves Garlic
- 5-6 Jalapenos (cut in half)
- 1 Lime (cut in half)
- 1 cup Fresh Coriander
- 1 Avocado
- ¼ cup Water
- ½ cup Oil
Making the Keto Tortillas
- In a bowl, add all of the ingredients mentioned under the tortilla section and mix well until a soft dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and set aside.
- To begin rolling out the tortillas, take 2 pieces of baking parchment and place a portion between them.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the portion out into a circle. If you have a ring mould, cut out a circle from the rolled out tortilla.
- Once you have your first tortilla rolled out, place a non-stick pan on the heat. Lift up the piece of parchment on which the tortilla is rolled out and carefully peel the tortilla off it.
- Place the tortilla on the non-stick pan and cook until both sides are toasty and golden brown.
- Repeat the same process until you have cooked all of the tortillas.
- You can also use the dough scraps that you may have after cutting the circles to make more tortillas!
- Once you have cooked all the tortillas, cover them in a clean piece of cloth and set aside.
Making the Avocado Salsa Verde
- Place a cast-iron pan on high heat. Let the pan begin smoking. We want the pan to be as hot as possible as we are going to be charring some of the ingredients for the salsa.
- Drizzle some oil on the pan and proceed to place the onion, garlic, jalapeno, and lime onto the cast-iron pan.
- Once these ingredients are fully charred and soft, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a high speed blender, add the charred onions, jalapenos, garlic, water, and oil.
- Blend into a sem-smooth puree.
- Now, juice the charred lime into the blender and add the coriander and avocado.
- Blend on the highest setting until you have a perfectly smooth and creamy sauce.
- Transfer the sauce to a bowl and set aside.
Making the Mexican Tofu Filling
- In a bowl, add the crumbled tofu, chipotle seasoning, and the cayenne pepper.
- Using your hands, mix well so that the seasoning is well dispersed throughout the tofu.
- In a pan, add some oil and begin cooking the diced onions.
- Once the onion is fully caramelised, add the marinated tofu and mix well.
- We are looking to completely cook the tofu.
- When the tofu is almost cooked, add the Mexican Salsa sauce.
- Mix well to coat all of the tofu in the sauce.
- Finish the tofu filling with a generous sprinkling of chopped coriander and set aside.
- Assembling the Tacos:
- On a platter or a plate, place your tortillas. Place some sliced red cabbage on it followed by the Mexican Tofu filling.
- Now, drizzle the avocado salsa over the filling and munch on!
Serving: 200g | Calories: 272kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 231mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 535IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 1mg