Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
Decadent Hazelnut Babka
A rich and decadent recipe that is perfect for sharing on Easter Sunday. Loaded with the goodness of hazelnuts and chocolate, this recipe sure looks complicated but is actually a breeze with a few of our tips and tricks!
- Heat the almond milk in a pot until it is lukewarm to the touch. Add the sugar to the milk and dissolve it. Add the active dry yeast to a coffee mug and add the warm milk and sugar to it.
- Place this mug in a warm place to activate the dry yeast for about 10 minutes. The yeast will become bubbly inside the mug and this is an indication that the yeast has been activated.
- In a large bowl, add the flour and the yeast mixture. Using the tips of your fingers, move the dough around and incorporate the milk into the flour slightly.
- Add the Vegan Ghee and knead the dough for 5 to 6 minutes until it is smooth.
- Cover the dough with a cloth and let it rise for 30 to 40 minutes.
- In a medium pot, add the almond milk, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, and heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the Chocolate Hazelnut paste, chopped hazelnuts, and ground hazelnuts to the sugar mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Transfer to a plate and cool it down.
Braiding the Babka
- Divide the yeast dough into two and roll out each dough on a floured countertop to an oval shape.
- Spread the filling over the surface of the dough in a thin layer.
- Beginning at one of the long edges of the rectangle, start to tightly roll up the dough.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the roll lengthwise. Slightly rotate the halves outwards so the layers are facing upwards.
- Cross the two halves over each other to form a braid and pinch together the end of the rope into a circle. Repeat the process with the second portion of the dough.
- Let the buns rise for about 30 minutes and brush with milk before baking.
- Bake the Hazelnut Babkas in a 180°C oven for 30 minutes.
Serving: 40g | Calories: 3223kcal | Carbohydrates: 655g | Protein: 64g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 578mg | Potassium: 756mg | Fiber: 23g | Sugar: 258g | Vitamin A: 6IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 708mg | Iron: 27mg
Active Dry Yeast