- First, it takes less time to cook than other whole grains, takes just 10 to 15 minutes to cook.
- Second, quinoa is a gluten-free and cholesterol- free whole food.
- Finally, of all the whole grains, quinoa has the highest protein content, so it’s perfect for vegetarians and vegans.
- High in Fiber
- It’s Gluten-Free!
- Promotes Weight Loss
- Loaded with Antioxidants
|White Quinoa||Most widely sold variety of quinoaTakes least amount of time to cook.|
|Red Quinoa||Remains intact, prefer using this type in cold salads or in recipes where the texture of a distinct grain is preferred.|
|Black Quinoa||Takes longer time to cookTaste is more different than the white and red varieties with an earthy, sweet flavour.|
- Quinoa has a naturally bitter coating called saponin that keeps insects away without having to use pesticides. The saponin can be removed by rinsing quinoa with water before consuming. Although most packaged quinoas have the saponin already removed, it is never a bad idea to give it an extra rinse.
- Quinoa is very easy to cook! You can prepare quinoa much like the way you would prepare rice. Cover it with water or vegetable broth and simmer it over medium heat until soft, about 15 minutes, giving it a couple quick stirs.
- It can be used in baking or as a breakfast grain, it also works well in hot side dishes, cold salads, and even in burgers.
- It is easy to incorporate quinoa into your diet – just use it in place of rice in any recipe. Its small grains cook to tender in as little as 15 minutes.
- Combine the vegetable stock, quinoa, lemon rind and garlic in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes, while stirring it occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper powder and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while it stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- Cook the quinoa in a large pan of boiling water for 10-15 mins until tender, drain well, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small pan, then cook the onion for a few mins until softened, then remove from the heat.
- Stir the softened onion into the cooled quinoa along with the lentils, cucumber, spring onions and vinegar. Toss well together and chill until ready to serve.
- Buy Urban Platter White Quinoa here!
- Buy Urban Platter Black Quinoa here!
- Buy Urban Platter Red Quinoa here!