Take a culinary voyage to the Mediterranean with farro, a hearty grain that was a mainstay of the daily diet in ancient Rome. Some say farro is the original ancestor of all other wheat species—“the mother of all wheat.” In ancient Rome, farro was a staple food that provided the main source of nourishment for the Roman legions, and it was even used as a form of currency. Today this Old World heirloom grain is still highly regarded in Italy, where it has been grown for generations by Tuscan farmers and is featured in many traditional dishes.
Our organic farro, Triticum spelta, offers many health benefits including being high in fiber and a good source of iron and protein. Farro is easy to digest, allowing your body to readily absorb the nutrients. Our farro is very lightly scratched, as is traditional, to allow for a faster cooking time and to encourage the release of its starches during cooking, but it maintains its wholesome nutrients.
A darling grain of foodies and chefs, farro can widen your culinary horizons by using it in stews, casseroles and salads. Farro makes an excellent substitution for brown rice and wheat berries. Try your hand at “farrotto,” an alternative to traditional risottos. Farro is easy to prepare, but exotic enough to impress your friends and family. Browse our recipe selection for inspiring ways to bring this mainstay of Italy to your table.
Urban Platter Farro (Mediterranean Wheat), 1kg / 35.2oz [Premium Quality, Rich & Nutty Flavor]
₹300.00 (incl. of tax)
- Take a culinary voyage to the Mediterranean with farro, a hearty grain that was a mainstay of the daily diet in ancient Rome.
- Farro is hearty and chewy, with a rich, nutty flavor. Farro is easy to digest, allowing your body to readily absorb the nutrients.
- It offers many health benefits including being high in fiber and a good source of iron and protein.
- Use in stews, casseroles, salads and pilafs. Try making delicious Farotto (farro rice / risotto-like preparation) with Farro.
- Urban Platter - Simply Good Food! :)