Dill, the magic herb has been around for centuries, from seasoning food recipes to preparing medicinal correctives, dill is a godsend ingredient in many aspects. However, many people aren’t aware of the benefits that it has to offer. Let’s take a look at the health benefits and some recipes that you can make with dried dill.
Health Benefits of Dill
1. Women’s Herb
Dill is also known as the Women’s herb as it has the ability to balance sluggish menstrual cycles. The compound apiole found in dill is a powerful emmenagogue that encourages menstruation. However, it’s not recommended in medicinal concentration for pregnant women’s. A tea brewed from two teaspoons of dill is enough to calm the discomforts.
2. Good for Nursing Mothers
Although pregnant women can’t have too much dill, it is a welcome remedy for nursing mothers. Dill is proven to enhance the milk flow and has been used around for ages. Not only that, the milk will also have the properties to calm the baby’s stomach.
3. Helps to Lower Cholesterol
Worried about cholesterol? Well, following a Mediterranean diet added with the magic herb can help lower cholesterol. The recent studies have shown that the dill can help lower blood glucose levels and liver enzymes significantly.
4. The magic herb Will Help to Reduce Depression
Depression is a modern-day dilemma that we all face. With that said, dill can also be used a natural remedy for reducing depression. The aqueous extract of dill has excellent analgesic and antidepressant properties to help reduce depression.
5. Boosts Immunity
With its antimicrobial properties, the magic herb has been used to prevent a number of microbial infections as well as open wound infections on skin. Added to that, dill also provides Vitamin A and C to improve immunity.
Dilly Cheese Wheat Bread
• 2/3 cup of milk
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 of hot water
• 2 cups of bread flour
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 2 teaspoon of bread machine yeast
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1/2 cup grated cheese
• 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese (optional)
• 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
• Mix all the ingredients and place it on the bread machine pan.
• Select the white bread light crush settings and press start
• Add the cheese about 5 minutes before the kneading cycle has finished.
Dill Sauce for Hamburgers
• 1 cup of mayonnaise
• 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoon dried dill weed
• Mix all the ingredients in small bowl.
A yummy sauce is ready for your Hamburger.
Dill Tarragon Salmon
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
• 3/4 shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1/4 tablespoon of lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon grated cheese
• 1 tablespoon of dried tarragon
• 4 ounce of salmon fillets with skin removed
• 1 teaspoon of dried dill
• Preheat the oven to 400-degrees F.
• Using a non-stick cooking spray, prepare a glass baking dish.
• Mix all the ingredients except the fillets in a bowl.
• Place the salmon fillets in the dish and spread the cheese mixture evenly on it,
• Bake it in the oven for about 15 minutes until the fish flakes.
Check out these delicious recipes for a tasty treat. However, if you’re finding it difficult to get some premium dill, look for the urban platter. From the Greek island of Crete to your plate, we produce the finely processed dried dill to go with your Mediterranean diet.