Waking up to the smell of cinnamon sweetness is such a comforting and cozy way to start a day full of family and love. Cinnamon or Dalchini is a favourite household spice and has been used throughout the world for centuries. The spice comes from the inner bark of a small evergreen tree. The bark is peeled and laid in the sun to dry where it curls up into rolls known as cinnamon sticks.
Cinnamon is one of the oldest spice known. It was mentioned in the Bible and was used in ancient Egypt not only as a beverage flavoring and medicine, but also as an embalming agent. It was so highly treasured that it was considered more precious than gold!
Cinnamon is a warming herb used to cure cold and the common flu. Cinnamon, when added to ginger tea, is an excellent cold reliever. Or consume cinnamon powder and a tablespoon of honey to get rid of cold. Consume the mixture twice a day for three days for best results.
Freshens Breath and protects dental health
The essential oil from cinnamon has been shown to be more potent than other tested plant extracts and can be used to naturally combat bacteria in the mouth, acting like a natural anti-bacterial mouthwash.
Has Anti-inflammatory Properties
Cinnamon contains flavonoid compounds which are effective at fighting inflammation levels throughout the body. It lowers swelling and inflammation which can be beneficial in pain management to relieve muscle soreness, premenstrual pains, severity of allergic reactions and other age-related symptoms of pain too.
- 1/3 cup white long-grain rice, rinsed
- 2/3 cup raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons whole dark-roast coffee beans
- 2-inch section cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 3 cups hot (not boiling) water
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 tablespoons agave nectar
- Add rice, almonds, coffee beans, cinnamon stick and hot water to blender and blend on high for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a covered jar or container and leave to soak at room temperature overnight.
- The next day, line a fine-meshed sieve with one layer of cheesecloth and set it over a deep bowl. Transfer rice-almond mixture back to blender and add 1 cup cold water. Blend on high for 2 minutes. Carefully pour blend through cheesecloth-lined sieve; gather cheesecloth together and squeeze out remaining liquid.
- Add agave nectar to horchata, whisk together, and serve over ice. Transfer remaining horchata to a bottle or container and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Cinnamon Bread Delight
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (5.1 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- Add all ingredients to list
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease two 5x9 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, oil, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Sprinkle the bottoms of the loaf pans with cinnamon sugar, and divide the batter between the 2 pans.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.