Blueberries are perennial(living for several years) flowering plants with indigo-colored berries. They are classified in the section Cyanococcus within the genus Vaccinium. The smaller species are known as “lowbush blueberries”, while the larger species are known as “highbush blueberries”. The flowers are bell-shaped, white, pale pink or red, sometimes tinged greenish. They are covered in a protective coating of powdery epicuticular wax, known as the “bloom”.They have a sweet taste when mature, with variable acidity.
1. High in Antioxidants
Blueberries are one of the best sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants are compounds that fight harmful free radicals and provide a myriad of health benefits. Dietary antioxidants such as anthocyanins, flavonoids found in the blue pigments of Blueberries, have the ability to neutralize free radicals and help prevent cell damage.
2. Promotes Weight Loss
Blueberries are loaded with fiber that plays an important role in weight loss. The high fiber content of the berries helps in maintaining satiety for a prolonged period and reduces food cravings making it one of the healthy snacks to eat. So, enjoy a glass of blueberry smoothie in between meals to keep yourself fuller for longer.
3. Facilitates Digestion
As a source of both soluble and insoluble fiber that is found in nature, blueberries aid in regulating your gastrointestinal tract. This can be accomplished by eating a couple handfuls of blueberries a day.
4. Prevents Acne & Blemishes
For those with skin that is prone to acne, blueberries can help you achieve blemish-free skin.
Blueberries have a high concentration of salicylates, which is the salt of the salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is widely used in topical acne treatment products. Its ability to remove dead skin, open clogged pores, and act against bacteria makes it a very effective treatment for acne.
What You Need
- Mashed blueberries
- Few drops of lemon juice
- A teaspoon of honey
- Mix the mashed blueberries with the lemon juice and the honey.
- Apply it on your face, you may apply it to your whole face or just the affected areas.
- Keep the pack on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- 170g of Blueberries
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup milk
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper liners. Gently toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour and set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In another large bowl whisk eggs, sugar, milk, butter, and vanilla. Pour the dry mixture over the wet ingredients and blend together just until combined. Don’t over-mix or the muffins will be tough.
- Gently fold in blueberries. Be careful not to break them open.
- Divide batter between muffin cups. Bake until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- 1 ripe Banana
- 1 cup frozen Blueberries
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
Blend all the ingredients on high speed until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve immediately.